Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Days 24 & 25

Day 24 was a nice day. I worked on technique and power yesterday. After an hour and 1/2 on the handball wall, I was lucky enough to hit with a real player. I'll call him Mike P. I saw him hit against the wall and I thought he was a teaching pro, he has nice hand eye coordination and strokes. We had a good time hitting the ball, my racquet was warped and busted from Monday's serve session at Indian River high school but I still hit and had good results. My main nemesis was my footwork and that I need to move forward into the ball. Mike was hitting some good balls, his main problem is putting pressure on himself to hit the shot in the court. This is my problem as well. Many tennis players get to be too polite and want to hit the perfect shot, thus putting pressure on themselves in a regular practice session or a real match. My dad always stressed meeting the ball and just swinging and worry about the shots being in later. The next time Mike and get together to hit, I will make sure to set a precedent or one rule, NO SORRIES! We both know that we each want to hit the shot in the court, so we should drop the sorries and figure the correct way to hit the shot and move on.
After work etc, I watched a good video where the pro demonstrated a drill to hit ground strokes from all over the court, this was my rest and flexibility day so I decided to work on that drill and practice my serves and aiming at my targets(ball cans and plastic water bottles. Everything went well, my serving motion was relaxed yet power full at the right moment and I started grooving on my ground strokes. I am ready for the ball machine but I need to create some drill to work on for myself.

No comments: