Saturday, December 2, 2006

My 16th Day

Yesterday the day of wind and rain, I was out there against the handball wall. It was a lot of fun I am becoming more and more consistent, just my warm ups are crap. It takes me about 10 minutes now the get a good bead on the ball and my strokes flowing....when I first started it was a 1/2 hour before that happened so there is progress. Mainly it just reprogramming my motor memory and skills. Tennis is a game that relies heavily on rhythm and timing. So little things help out like the "bounce" if you watch people playing tennis and warming up you see them bounce on their toes and hit the shot and bounce again. This is a timing and mobility tool. Whenever I am messing up I make sure to bounce and not be on the heels of my feet, where most of the mistakes happen. Another basic I keep reminding myself of is Welby Van Horn's 3 H's Hips, Heal, and Head. Turn your hips into the shot then your rear heal to support the rotation of your hips and then your head AFTER you hit the shot. These 3 keys are your basics and nucleus of the stroke. We had a nice warm streak now it's back to somewhat cold weather training, now I am off to the courts for a 3 hour workout, if I can last that long.My immediate goals are:
1: ball machine practice (I need to earn that by having good consistency on the wall)
2: partners to play with (I have a few already, but I just wanted to be more consistent for them as well)
3: CamCorder (so I can video tape myself and eventually use it as a tool to give tennis lessons)

No comments: