Friday, December 15, 2006

Days 26 and 27!

On day 26 I had an excellent day doing the drill I saw on the tapes. I also served a good bunch of balls with my new Prince tennis racquet. I like the smaller size of the Prince but it's too damn light! I met another tennis pro named Wayne, he's my age and has a similar mindset as myself regarding the game of tennis. I got into a nice groove yesterday and it paid off today on day 27.
Today I scrounged up loose change and turned it in and it came out to $34.00! The ball machine rental only costs $18.00 per hour! Why did I turn in change? So I wouldn't get into too much trouble with the ole lady ;) I met this other pro at Owl Creek Tennis also named Wayne, he had drill sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays at night time for only $15.00 , after another session on the ball machine, I am going to do this. Even though I had this light Prince racquet(which I am contemplating returning for the Wilson one for now) I was hitting some good shots and generally making some nice strokes. The ball machine is a VERY valuable tool, if you want a workout that almost kills you it will give it to you! If you want an easy groove workout it will give that to you as well. Needless to say, I had to play with the new toy and I am cramping up as I type! I turned the machine from 55 to 70 mph, I hit better on the 70mph, because it doesn't give me too much time to think and I just execute the technique instinctively. I have to say that it was the best $18.00 that I have ever spent. I am going to cut down , now I am going to quit eating any fast food and stop getting my wonderful Guiness Extra Stout sold by the pint and put that into renting that ball machine. My main goal is to buy one, that is battery operated, so I can take it to the free public courts and use it and give lessons.
Wayne, the pro I met in Chesapeake gave me a good education on the newer racquets, I appreciate it.
I also discussed doing drills with Mike P today. After I did an hour and fifteen minutes on the ball machine, I hit with Mike at Red Wing, my footwork and consistency SUCKED! The wind was the main factor for this, but you have to adapt to the weather conditions! Anyway I hope this drill idea works out and I think it will.

No comments: